Hot Flushes, Night Sweats a Hot Topic
Two of the most common complaints from women in the menopause are hot flushes and night sweats. These uncomfortable symptoms affect approximately 75% of women in perimenopause and once in menopause she may continue to have hot flushes for a further 6 months to 5 years or even longer.
The term “hot flush” is well known as a feeling of intense heat which is not caused by an external heat source and which can be experienced when it is least expected. These are a result of changes in the body’s hormonal balance and the severity but there are simple measures that can be taken to lessen the effects of the Hot Flush and Nightsweats.
- Reduction of caffeine and alcohol can certainly affect the frequency of the hot flush. The intake of hot drinks can raise the body’s internal temperature which, in turn, encourages the body's cooling mechanism to switch on and cause the body to sweat. While Caffeine stimulates the sweat glands, alcohol widens the blood vessels both being a catalyst for the hot flushes and night sweats.
- Stop Smoking - It is thought that smoking may interfere with hormones, neurotransmitters that are linked to hot flushes For example, higher androgen levels ( testosterone ) have been observed in smokers compared to non-smokers. Though estrogen levels are similar in smokers and non-smokers, the higher androgen (sometimes known as the male hormone ) levels from smoking will raise the androgen to estrogen ratio, and this can be associated to the hot flushes.
- Keep rooms cool – A simple remedy available to all ! Turn down the thermostat, open the windows, or use an air conditioner or fan. By keeping an indoor temperature below 21 degrees celsius /70 degrees fahrenheit during the day and 18 degrees Celsius/65 Fahrenheit at night the body’s temperature will feel more comfortable.
- Cooling Sprays can provides instant relief from hot flushes and night sweats. These sprays can help draw heat away from the skin, quickly and effectively reducing skin temperature and redness. An easy solution to have reassurance on hand and one we can recommend is Physicool U.K.
- FIFTY ONE APPAREL garments. The fabric’s technology interprets the body’s heat and begins to store it until such time the body cools down and the heat is transferred back to the body ensuring a constant temperature no matter what the time or place, comfort is guaranteed.
Simple but effective guides to help women negotiate their way around the dreaded hot flush and night sweats.
Stay safe, stay cool with Fifty One Apparel. x